High Fever, redness all over body, whiteness in tongue, mild cough

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
My 4 year son has a fever starting two days ago it started at 104* up and down since then & is now at 100* and his body is red all over, my wife suggested that is was from the sun we live in Florida but when I had him at the pool he wears a tee shirt, hat with sunscreen. The redness is evenly spread all over his body with no bumps or blotches, his tongue is slightly white, slighy cough and no other symptoms .
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
A high fever with a reddish discoloration given the circumstances is suggestive of a heat stroke. Please take him to an ER immediately so that prompt measures can be instituted. Till then, sponge him with cold water and give him plenty of fluids.
However, such a picture can also be produced by a viral infection. In this case also, he would need sponging and plenty of fluids. I would suggest you speak with your child's paediatrician so that the discoloration can be examined and appropriate treatment can be started.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.