High BP, taking Lisinopril and Clonodine. Chest tightness, arm and shoulder pain, high pulse rate. Why can I not control BP?

Question
I have suffered with high blood pressure for about 28 years. I am a 54 year old fenale. For years Lisinopril has controlled my BP but it us no longer working. Every night it averages 200/ 105. I have to take Clonodine to bringbit fown. I am now exercising at a gym and playing tennis. I experience tightness in my chest, pain in right upper arm and shoulder and high pulse rate. Can you tell me why i cant control my BP.
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello
There are primarily two reasons for your blood pressure getting out of control.
1... With passage of time body gets used to the drug and hence no more that effective.
2... With age and hypertension,atherosclerosis sets in which makes arteries harder resulting in high blood pressure.Atheroscerosis is the deposition of fatty material in the linings of arteries.

Since you are having uncontrolled high blood pressure along with chest and arm pain,I advise you to talk to your cardiologist not only for addition of additional anti hypertensive agent like a beta blocker but also get you tested  for any coronary blockage by getting a coronary angiography done.
Till you consult your cardiologist,I would advise you refrain from playing tennis and going to GYM,to avoid possibility of heart attack.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: High BP, taking Lisinopril and Clonodine. Chest tightness, arm and shoulder pain, high pulse rate. Why can I not control BP? 3 hours later
What BP reading should require immediate medical attention? Thank you for the advice and information.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Hello
This reading of 200/105 is in itself a problem and coupled with your symptoms of tightness in chest along with pain in arm and high pulse rate makes it a problem which demands urgent medical attention.
Thanks

Follow-up: High BP, taking Lisinopril and Clonodine. Chest tightness, arm and shoulder pain, high pulse rate. Why can I not control BP? 2 hours later
Ok thank you. I don't have a cardiologist. My XXXXXXX medicine doctor is treating my HBP.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello
There is no problem.You can consult your treating doctor.
Thanks