High BP, on pacemaker medtronic model E1DR01, good health. Okay to travel by flight ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am 76 male with a pacemaker medtronic model E1DR01, installed in 2004, i am still in good health, slender build 6 ft, 190 lbs, i have high blood presure to, i am going to go to phillipines and was wondering how it would react in flight and are there doctors in the phillipnes to help me after i'm there on an extended stay?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 25 minutes later

1) Since when are you using the pacemaker

2) Do you feel dizzy often

There are no contraindications on flying with pacemaker. There are no specific problems, so you may fly with pacemaker.

If you do feel dizzy, do move your feet like you are pushing on a gas pedal 4-5 times while on the flight. This will help bring back blood to the heart and brain.

Since you are on many drugs to maintain heart rhythm and blood pressure, do take all drugs on time and do not miss meals as well.

Also keep well hydrated. Avoid smoking and alcohol at all costs.

Be sure to inform the authorities at the airport and flight that you are a patient using pacemaker.

In Phillipines you can consult with a Cardiologist at a multispeciality hospital to help you. A capital city like Manila should have such facilities in case you have trouble. Staying near to such hospitals is a clever thing.

I wish you happy journey and good health.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.