High BP constantly, had a cardiac arrest previously. What should the BP be to take a diovan?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am currently on 320 Diovan daily but my B/P is continuously higher now than it used to be. My doctor told me once years ago that if the B/P went high it would be okay to take an additional Diovan that day.

What is considered a high enough number to take an additional dosage of Diovan? I've run this week from a high one day of 180/117 down to 157/90 today.

I am a female 64 years of age with a cardiac arrest in 2004.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
The blood pressure readings in your case are high despite taking regular medicine. A dose of 320 mg daily of diovan is already on a higher side.
If your blood pressure is still not controlled, taking another anti hypertensive like calcium channel blocker or beta blocker will be helpful and will provide a better blood pressure control.
I would recommend you to consult your physician to get an additional anti hypertensive medicine instead of increasing the dose of diovan. Your physician will be able to choose the medicine best for you.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: High BP constantly, had a cardiac arrest previously. What should the BP be to take a diovan? 31 minutes later
I am already taking a beta blocker - Toprol. When I saw my doctor, I was told that my pressure was high because I was getting older.

Is there any problem with taking an additional Diovan if the pressure that day is too high - meaning over 160 sys?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Taking an additional dose of diovan occasionally can help you for a time being but will not provide a uniform blood pressure control. Revising your anti hypertensive medicines under your physician's guidance will be more helpful in getting a better control.
Even if your blood pressure is high due to your age still it needs to be controlled carefully with the appropriate medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful.