Hi, my 7 month old baby has excessive drooling .

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
Hi, my 7 month old baby has excessive drooling. his tshirt front becomes wet in half an hour. Is it normal? He makes sounds, eats semisolid mashed foods & is breastfed as well. He rolls over & back perfectly, crawls on stomach. He has not started sitting without support. He sits leaning on me when I keep him on my lap. Though he was born 3 weeks ahead of my EDD, since it just completed 37 weeks of gestation he is not preterm. Which month can I expect him to sit well on his own? Also is this drooling normal?
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drooling is quite common, wait till 9 months for sitting without support

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for choosing me on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
I really appreciate the way of your observation regarding the milestones. Its also good to know that you have started complementary feeds and taking care of baby very well.
Regarding drooling of saliva I want to tell you that it is quite common and drooling increases during the teething age. You need not to worry about that. Just keep him hydrated well by giving frequent breast feeds and try to keep the area dry to avoid any moisture related excoriation of skin.
For every milestone there is a red flag sign.This means that if the baby does not have a particular milestone at specific age, one should consult a pediatrician for evaluation.
I won't get worried for your baby regarding the milestones as he has started roll over, crawling and sitting with support.
If baby does not sits without support by the age of 9 months it should be evaluated as 9 month is the red flag sign for this particular milestone.
I hope your baby will start sitting without support within next 15-20 days.

I shall be glad to help further if you need any.
Wishing good health for all your family.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Hi, my 7 month old baby has excessive drooling . 11 hours later
Thanks a lot doctor :)

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
My pleasure

Detailed Answer:
It's my pleasure that you found my suggestions helpful. Please let me know if you need any further help.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Hi, my 7 month old baby has excessive drooling . 7 days later
Hi doctor,

I had thyroid issue during pregnancy.The baby's tsh was checked within 3 days & found as 5. The doc said it's normal. He is 7 months now. Is there a need to check the tsh now?

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

I won't get worried if TSH level was normal during initial days of neonatal life. If TSH level comes high when tested before 72 hours of life it should be rechecked after 7 days of life because initial high level could be because of maternal transfer from placenta. But in your baby's case it was normal.
So I don't think that repeat test is needed for TSH.