Hi, I have 3-4 pink colored rashes that's surrounding an

Question

I have 3-4 pink colored rashes that's surrounding an old Infection(closed two weeks ago) in my left forearm. They started dime sized, circular, pink colored rashes with bumpy tops. They change color when pressed and were very itchy.

I was prescribed Betaderm. And on my third day, 5 application, each 12h apart.

Now I see more rashes forming and the ones already there got bigger and trying to join the other rashes. Instead of itchy they now feel normal to the touch, maybe stings a little bit.

My infection was contained on the left forearm only, as in only my left forearm was swollen, but as you can see from the pic I see rash forming between the upper arm and the forearm.

What can this be? Is Betaderm not working or does it just take time? Even the newly formed rash that are much smaller seems to get bigger still after applying betaderm on them.

Thanks
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image for review!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this rash that you have reported. Seeing any rash is important in making the right diagnosis and opposing treatment options. I strongly recommend that you upload an image for review. Without an image, your response would be genetic and may not be very helpful. Send an image as directed below.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.

Follow-up: Hi, I have 3-4 pink colored rashes that's surrounding an 22 minutes later
Hi, I had several server errors. Here are the pics I mentioned. One is when the rash is in their early stages(Tuesday) , one is from today and one is the inspection site that looks healed and where the rashes are in relation to it(with red arrows).

Thank you.

Brief Answer:
This is an allergy!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the images.

I have reviewed all of them. They are highly suggestive of n allergic reaction. I recommend Benadryl for relief. Only used diluted betaderm to cleanse area so as to avoid any super infection. At this time, there are no signs of an active infection and there is no need for antibiotics.

The next task is actually to identify what must have provoked this among your beauty products/etc. Keep a close eye and do a review to see if there are any prospects in this regard.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. above all, keep me updated with your progress.

Follow-up: Hi, I have 3-4 pink colored rashes that's surrounding an 12 hours later

How do you dilute betaderm cream 0.05% GM?

What kind of relief can I expect from Benadryl? The rash getting smaller?

Also I was prescribed Advil for the swelling that is still in the old infection site,as you can probably see from the pic with the arrows. I stopped after two days(Friday, Saturday) because I developed chills. But I'm not sure what's causing this, the advil or the rashes that are getting bigger.

Can this also be a blood circulation problem? Because I noticed today that my left ear is swollen(see pic of left swollen and right normal ear) , the problematic forearm is also on the left. And at night in bed I do feel the left hand is colder than the right when I touched my face with both hands. Now they feel the same.

I don't really use products other than moisturizers, and it's hypoallergenic. I don't think it ever gave me problems. But during the infection I used Dettol (that I didn't know I had to dilute) to clean the infected wound and then switched to Saline Solution because doc said dettol is too strong. But I used dettol more than 2 weeks ago and I didn't have any reaction.

Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is suggestive of an allergy!

Detailed Answer:

The diffuse nature of the swellings is typical of allergy. Like i mentioned earlier, the difficulty lies in identifying the trigger in your environment. If there are any recent changes to your milieu or products, kindly review them to identify what the culprit is. Again, i recommend you continue with benadryl for relief.

For dilution, I will recommend 1part of betide to 20parts of water. Apply this only on infected areas. You can dilute betadine lotion easily than betaderm cream.

I wish you well.

Follow-up: Hi, I have 3-4 pink colored rashes that's surrounding an 25 minutes later
Hi, could you please look at the back of the ear as well. There's a red XXXXXXX that's not on the normal ear, Attached pictures are whats under the normal and swollen ear.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, consistent with allergy.

Detailed Answer:

This is actually consistent with an allergy. This explains the diffuse nature.

Have you been able to identify what the culprit is? this would be helpful in providing definitive solutions.

In the interim, Benadryl would offer much-needed help.

I wish you well.

Please keep me posted...

Follow-up: Hi, I have 3-4 pink colored rashes that's surrounding an 24 minutes later
The doc is afraid it's another bacterial infection. Prescribed 10 days of new AB, Clindamycin... But if nothing changes in 2 days I need to go to ER...

Questions please
1.After I took Benadryl and Betaderm for couple days the rash feels thinner when I applied Betaderm last. This is before the new AB. Does this mean something is working? I would have thought so but my ear began to swell the same day.
2. After the new AB I stopped using Betaderm. The doctor said doesn't matter. Is this agreeable?
3. Today the rashes have normal skin feeling, they're not itchy anymore. The majority is still there, the origin area of the rash is still thick and bumpy but not as much. Is this a good sign?
4. Ear is now itchy, before its just warm, now it's itchy and warm. Especially after I put moisturizer on the ear it gets red. What XXXXXXX this be? Can this Mastoiditis? Is it possible for the left forearm infection to move into the left ear because my right ear now is red as well...the Lobule part...
Will Clindamycin attack both forearm rash and ear if they're caused by bacteria?
5.is 2 days enough time to decide if the AB is working or not?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
I'm not for any infection here!

Detailed Answer:

This is too diffuse to be an infection. Infections wouldn’t jump from one to another which does not seem to be related. Even if there is a superinfection on one of the areas, the main problem here is not primarily an infection.

1. It correlates with an allergy and I'd strongly recommend you continue Benadryl.
2. I don’t really believe in antibiotics at this time.
3. That’s certainly a good sign.
4. Not mastoiditis. Mastoiditis is a complication of inner ear infection and not an allergy.
5. I truly don’t believe in antibiotics but it is too early to tell.

I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Kind Regards

Follow-up: Hi, I have 3-4 pink colored rashes that's surrounding an 1 hour later
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Since it's been 48h I stopped taking the AB, I don't notice any improvement at all. My ear still flaring up, if it gets touched, wer, etc. I was actually very tired on Clindamycin, tiredness is not in the side effect section. Q0. What can this mean? Is tiredness associated with fighting active infection when the AB page does not list it as side effect?

Clindamycin has a very scary side effect that is in the "common" section, C-Diff.

Q1. What kind of damage can 8x300mg Auro-Clindamycin pills cause, taken exactly 6h apart? the first day of Clindamycin I ate greek yogurt after each Clindamycin pill. Day 2 and day 3(stopped 8th AB pill here) I took only probiotics called Lactobacillus GG capsule form once a day. It's been 10h after the 8th pill of the AB, if there are going to be side effects...is there any way to guess when? days, weeks?

Q2.What else can I do? I'm anxious because I took Keflex for 10 days not long ago, last pill was on the 20th Oct, I took new AB on the 29th... my flora could be damaged? I have not taken AB in about 20y...

Q3. Do you think this rash is contagious? I don't see any discharge...

Q4. It's been 5 days of back to back Benadryl, 4x a day. How many more days can I safely use it? What harm can it do?

Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
The rash is not likely to be contagious!

Detailed Answer:

You can take Benadryl for as long as needed (at least for the time being).

Though these antibiotics have side effects, most persons will never present with them.

If this rash persists, I strongly recommend you request to see an allergologist for evaluation and treatment.

I wish you well.