Hernia surgery, scrotum swelling, extended to penis area, fluid filled. Treatment ?

My husband had hernia surgery last Tuesday. His extreme scrotum swelling has extended into the penile area and looks like a water-filled doughnut.. We are very concerned but it is a long holiday weekend and it is hard to get help. We can upload a photograph if necessary. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 9 hours later
Thanks for the query,

It appears that your husband is having edema of the penis and scrotum as reaction to surgery and it can happen in normal course of things.

Immediately after the hernia repair patients may experience swelling around the area of the repair. In the male population the swelling can go down to the base of penis as well as the testicular sack. Again this is temporary and the swelling will go down. At times this area of swelling will be hard to touch between two to four months. This represents an area of scar formation which with time will be softer. It’s not a complication rather a natural process of healing.

You can take painkillers like Advil for temporary pain relief.
However, i am still interested to know whether he has severe pain in the region or fever. Also kindly send the picture to ATTN: Dr.Rajiv Goel at YYYY@YYYY

Thanks and regards.
Follow-up: Hernia surgery, scrotum swelling, extended to penis area, fluid filled. Treatment ? 19 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX goel,

I tried to upload the photo to YYYY@YYYY to your attention but received back a non-delivery notice.

Please advise the correct address. Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 30 hours later

Thank you for sending the pictures.

I have seen it with full concern.

The swelling just appears to be a consequence of the hernia surgery.

You need not worry much about it.

What antibiotics are being given?

I would still advise for an ultrasound of the scrotum to be done.

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery.