Hernia surgery done. Noticed redness and pain near infected area. Should I be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had hernia surgery August 30th of this year. My hernia was around my belly button. I just notice today that it is very red and spreading and hot to touch. Should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The redness and pain around the area is suggestive of an infection near the scar line. It needs a direct examination to detect the source of infection. Systemic antibiotics are needed to control the infection.
In most of the cases, oral antibiotics, hot fomentation and local dressing of the area helps in bringing symptomatic relief in 7-10 days.
In some cases, if there is an abscess formation, surgical drainage of pus might be needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.