Hepatitis C antibody test showed positive abnormal and the reference interval was negative. Suggest

I just received results from a Hepatitis C Anitbody test. The result was positive abnormal and the reference interval was negative. I don't know what reference interval means for one and can't find a satisfactory answer online, but I was also told that it was most likely a false positive. That was all that came back with the results.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. David Okia 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need c-RNA test to confirm

Detailed Answer:

This is what I do for my patients first I explain to them that hepatitis antibody test does not tell us whether you are still infected with hepatitis or not, so incase its positive we usually proceed to do another test called c-RNA which determines whether you are chronically infected or not. If c-RNA is negative then you don't have the virus. In your case hepatitis was positive meaning at one point in life you got in contact with antibodies.

Have you had any blood transfusion, un protected sex, shared sharp instruments with any one? Do you have fever, loss of appetite and general body pains?

I strongly recommend you do c-RNA so that final diagnosis can be reached. Hope I answered your question. Will be happy to help you if you have other questions