Hepatic steatosis with mutiple cysts in both lobes, ultra sonography of liver, cholesterol reducing medicine. Treatment?

Hi Doctor,
I am 69years old. I keep myself extremely fit and go through regular health check ups every year. The ulra sonography taken last week shows that liver is normal size with diffuse increase in echotexture. The impression of Radiologist is 'HEPATIC STEATOSIS WITH MULTIPLE CYSTS IN BOTH LOBES'. The report was same 2 years back also. While no drug was prescribed by the Doctor then he has prescribed cholestrol reducing medicine now.My total cholestrol is in the range of 150-160 for many years and the readings of HDL/TRIGLYCERIDES are all very good. I dont have any health problems. Can I go by my Doctors advice under the above situation?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 29 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Hepatic Steatosis means collection of excess amount of fat and triglycerides in the liver cells.It occurs most commonly due to consumption of alcohol and sedentary lifestyle.

It is a reversible condition and treatment depends on the cause.It is of two types Alcoholic and Non Alcoholic.Cysts are sometimes usual findings in liver.

NASH(Non alcoholic hepatic steatosis)most often occurs in middle age people and who are in the overweight range.

Since your cholesterol levels are also normal I will advice you to get your Liver Function tests done once.

As after two years the impression is same and has not reversed so your treating Doctor has advised the cholesterol medication for no more deposition of fat and there is no harm in taking them.

You need to do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver.You can discuss with your Doctor regarding this.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.
Follow-up: Hepatic steatosis with mutiple cysts in both lobes, ultra sonography of liver, cholesterol reducing medicine. Treatment? 1 hour later
Dear Dr.,
I rarely take alcoholic drinks, I am not over weight and a regular swimmer.
I am giving this info if it could help you in your assessmnt/opinion or suggesting changes in life style.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 41 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

It is really appreciable that at this age you have maintained a healthy lifestyle and weight.Continue with swimming and you can do some changes in your food habits as :

1)Avoid fatty food intake and opt more for fresh fruits,veggies,salads.
2)Reduce rice intake if you are taking it on a daily basis.Have high fibre diet instead as oats,pulses,cereals etc.
3)Avoid non veg and have more of baked,steamed food items.
4)Drink lots of water and fresh juices.
5)Get your Blood sugar checked once as raised Blood Sugars can contribute to Fatty liver.

Wishing you Good health!