Hello, Is there a remedy for the difficulty breathing and

Cardiologist
Question
Is there a remedy for the difficulty breathing and chest tightening side effects of Xiidra?
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that difficulty breathing and chest tightening are not known adverse effects of Xiidra.

This drug is usually used locally as eye drops. For this reason, it is absorbed minimally and thus its main adverse effects are local (dry irritation, headache, blurring vision, etc..).

Anyway, if stopping this drug improves your situation, it means that you do not tolerate it well. In such case, switching to another therapy would be necessary.

If your complaints persist, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing some tests to investigate for other possible causes underlying your symptoms:

- a chest X ray study and pulmonary function tests
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count, PCR, ESR for inflammation.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri