Heavy menstrual bleeding. Taken gynae cvp & stylate that decreased bleeding, now advised regestrone. Will this cause side effects?

i m 44 yrs. old since last month i am suffering from heavy menses. i was first given gynae cvp n stylate 500mg for 8 days but bleeding has still not stopped but it has decreased now my dr has asked me to take regestrome 5mg thrice a day for next 21 days. r there any side effects of this treatment?
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Regesterone contains norethisterone which is often used to treat premenstrual syndrome, painful periods, abnormal heavy bleeding, irregular periods, menopausal syndrome (in combination with oestrogen), or to postpone a period.

Regestrone can cause side effects such as headache, mood swings, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weight gain or loss, acne, change in menstrual flow, and sleeplessness. You may also experience irregular periods, spotting or prolonged bleeding. This is normal and should get better with time as you continue to take the medicine.

You should follow your doctor’s advise and take the tablets as prescribed. If any of these side effects occur then you may consult your doctor and get the treatment changed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.