Heavy brown discharge and cramps. Could it be pregnancy?

Im spotting heavy brown discharge for 3 days, and cramping ? I can't go to the doctor because I don't have the money for the copay. my period isn't due for two Weeks. Could I be
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Thanks for consulting us.
Bleeding due to pregnancy complications usually do not occur unless you have reached your expected date of periods or you are overdue for some time.
However at this stage it is not possible to completely rule out the chances of pregnancy, even if you do a home pregnancy test it can be falsely negative.
Heavy brown discharge or spotting is not a normal thing & you need to sort out the cause. Try to recall if you have taken any hormone containing pill or injections.
Otherwise you must plan a visit to a Gynecologist as soon as it is possible for you.
The doctor will examine you & give you appropriate advise.
Hope you get well soon. Please write back if you have any question.
Follow-up: Heavy brown discharge and cramps. Could it be pregnancy? 10 minutes later
I am on Apri birth control. Could that be a factor? Thanks so much for the response!
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 21 minutes later
Welcome back.
Yes, this is a known side effect of this pill. Usually this settles after 2-3 months. If persistent spotting please visit a Gynecologist for change of pill & to rule out other causes of bleeding.
Hope I have addressed your concerns. If you want to discuss this further please feel free to contact back.
Best Regards.