Heaviness in head and body. Why did I get dizzy? What is happening?

hello there very very worried as last nite i felt heavy in the head and and felt i was going to fall back everytime i did sumthing and a was swaying when i walked sumtimes as my body felt very heavy. can you please tell me what could be wrong. even my partner kissing me made me get very dizzie and bending over to kiss him i got dizzie. very very scared and dot know whats going on. i the 2 nites b4 this happend i was up till 2:30am talking to a good friend and then went to bed at 2:30 and slept for 6 hours then i got up and the next nite did the same. so can u please tell me what was happening to me,..???
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From the clinical details provided it looks to me like you have vertigo and ataxia (swaying while walking). A combination of Vertigo and ataxia can be due to problems in the inner ear or cerebellum and its connections. Increase in the severity of dizziness with head movements or bending suggests to me like you are suffering from problems with the inner ear problems called as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

BPPV develops when a small piece of bone-like calcium breaks free and floats within the tube of the inner ear. This sends the brain confusing messages about your body's position. To diagnose benign positional vertigo, perform a simple bed side test called the Dix-Hallpike maneuver. If positive, most effective treatment is a bedside procedure called "Epley's maneuver," which can move the small piece of bone-like calcium that is floating inside your inner ear.

So I personally feel you may are suffering from symptoms suggestive of BPPV. You need to see your Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation to exclude other causes of vertigo and ataxia. One has to exclude the possibility of stroke and demyelination which can present with similar problems. For time being if you have persistent dizziness you can use cinnarizine to control your dizziness.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.