Heart rate speeds up when position changed while sleeping at night. What might this be ?

General Surgeon
When I sleep at night and change position and stretch my heart rate will speed up for several seconds and go back to normal what might this be
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 5 hours later

Thank you for the query.

In sleep you are in complete rest and heart rate remains at basal level. Changing posture and stretching are the movements that may be considered as physical activities and those activities increase your heart rate.

We can detect change in heart by counting it. If you do not count it but feel that your heart rate is being fast, that is palpitation.

If you have palpitations, you need a medical checkup and find out if anything is wrong.

Do not worry. Get a clinical examination with physician and follow advice.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Heart rate speeds up when position changed while sleeping at night. What might this be ? 27 hours later
now i eliptical over one hour a day, bench press 400 pounds never happens when I am awake working hard just during sleep. Anyone can say see a doctor it take three months to see mine if it were you would you be concerned
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 46 minutes later

An elliptical for over an hour and a 400 pound bench press each day denote how you are keeping perfect in terms of physical health. There is nothing needed to say that your heart is functioning well.

An objective counting of pulse rate at that moment can take this worry away. Get out of bed and drink a glass of water which induces vagal action and reduces the fast heart rate.