Hearing sound from abdomen. Urge for bowel movement after the sounds. Had hernia surgery. Cure?

i had my hernia sergery recently one month back.i am hearing different sounds
in my intenstine part.i don't have any pain with these sounds.after these sounds
i use to get my bowel movement.some times if i consume food lately the these
sounds are more.i am having these sounds for the last 3 to get rid of this problem.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

The loud sounds that you have been hearing is called borborygmi which is a rumbling or gurgling noise that occurs due to the peristaltic movements of fluid and gas in the intestines. These sounds can be due to :

1)     Hunger when there are long gaps between meals. Around 2 hours after your stomach has been emptied, it sends signals to your brain, which tells the digestive muscles to restart peristalsis

2)     Irritable bowel syndrome

3)     Diverticulitis or colitis

Try to make these lifestyle changes:

1)     Alterations in diet, like gradual addition of more fibre in your diet like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables & fruits can ease your symptoms.

2)     Avoid taking cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans and lentils, caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee) aerated drinks, fried and spicy foods.

3)     Also drink plenty of fluids and water and try to stop smoking or alcohol if there is history of intake of any such substance.

4)     Also start doing daily exercises, brisk walks, XXXXXXX breathing exercises which help in preventing constipation.

5)     Avoid large meals and take small frequent meals.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries, then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.