Hearing constant beep in ear. Prescribed medicine for ear infection. How long should I continue medicine?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
I am hearing a constant beep (low) in my left ear but there is no pain or hearing problems. When I consulted ENT doctor, they mentioned that there is infection in the middle ear. I am taking the below medication for last 2 weeks, and once in between they cleaned and asked to continue the same drops. Still there is this issue, my concern is whether this is normal period it will take to cure or is it something of serious concern. Kindly advise
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The sound that you are hearing is known as Tinnitus.

2. This is common in Otomycosis (Fungal infection of the ear). With Candibiotic ear drops and regular cleaning, the healing is faster but still requires two to four weeks.

3. I hope that the ear drum has been examined while cleaning and confirmed to be intact. Thus is because Candibiotic ear drops should ideally not be allowed to enter the middle ear through ear drum any perforation. Co-existent bacterial infections may require additional antibiotics.

4. If your ear drum is intact, the sounds that you hear are due to swelling of the ear drum and once the infection clears, the Tinnitus should reduce.

5. In the uncommon situation, where the Tinnitus persists even after the ear is completely healed. an Audiogram will be required.

I hope I have answered your query. Please reply back with the answers and I will be able to help you further.

Regards.

Follow-up: Hearing constant beep in ear. Prescribed medicine for ear infection. How long should I continue medicine? 16 hours later
Thanks DR XXXXXXX
I think you answered my concern. I was asked to come next week to clean it again and continue the treatment, so I was not sure whether it is healing or not. I usually put the Ear drops (3 drops 3 times per day), and lie down for 10-15 min. But when I get up the drops flows out, so not sure if drops did some healing or came out completely. Also, I find the outer part of ear dried up with the liquid and formed a little layer on the out part where the drops flows back. Kindly let me know if its normal or some steps needs to be taken that is missed. Thanks alot in advance.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Use 5 drops 5 times a day and lie down for 5 minutes with the ear (in which you have instilled the drops) up.

2. The drops do fall out after getting up and dry scabs are seen. This is normal.

Regards.