Heard loud sound. Started ringing ears. Should I consult a doctor?

Question
I WAS STARTING MY TRACTOR AND IT BACK-FIRED VERY LOUD.mY EARS STARTED RINGING AND ii HAVE AN ECHO IN MY HEAD. Will THAT GO AWAY or do I need to see someone now?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for using XXXXXXX

Generally, acute large and loud sounds could cause residual echo to remain in the ear. This sensation especially if is uni episodic (experienced) only once usually fades out within 24 to 48 hours. In some very rare cases, it could persist up to a week and not more. Residual complications are usually observed in persons who have have been exposed to loud noises for a very long period of time.

I would suggest you just stay calm, and you shall get back to normal. But if you still feel uncomfortable or continue experiencing this funny sensation in your ears after a week, then seeing a Ear, Nose, throat (ENT) specialist shall be a good idea. For, now just be calm and all shall certainly come back to normal.

Hope this helps and have a great time. I shall be honored answering further questions if you do have any,

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.