Health anxiety. Worried about gastroparesis. What are the chances of getting it? Is there a diagnosis?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have Health Anxiety. I am currently worried about developing gastroparesis (idiopathic) because I have read about this disease online. I have read that it can happen out of the blue or after a stomach virus (which I am also afraid of), and that it is a horrible and miserable disease. I can't seem to stop thinking that I may get this. I am wondering what my chances are of developing this? Statistically speaking, how many people does this disease affect? What are my chances if I am not diabetic? Please help me because I am really scared of this. My sister developed it about 2 months after having her gallbladder removed and it took them a long time to diagnose her. She was miserable. Once she was diagnosed and given medication it went away after a while but I read that most of the time this is permanent. Thank you for your patience as I am a very anxious person about health issues.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 7 hours later

My first word is a word of reassurance for you.

As mentioned by you in your history, you are suffering from anxiety so the first thing you should do is manage your stress levels.

All data available on the net is not authentic.

Diabetic gastroparesis is different from viral Gastroenteritis.

The chances of getting one depend on a lot of factors like your immunity, exposure, region you belong to.

It is not always permanent, it is also called 24 hours flu as most of the time it is self limiting and goes off in couple of days.

Your sister may have had a reduced immunity after surgery and she would have had it, but as you mentioned it was cured.

There is good number of medicines available, so no need to worry.

Hope I have replied to your satisfaction, yet am available for follow-up queries.

If no additional concern, accept my response.

Get well soon.
Follow-up: Health anxiety. Worried about gastroparesis. What are the chances of getting it? Is there a diagnosis? 12 hours later
My sister did not have viral gastroentritis, she developed gastroparesis after her stomach surgery. She had it 2 months after her surgery. I am just afraid of getting this disease out of nowhere. Some of the people that I read about online developed it but I am figuring that there had to be some underlying issues maybe? Thanks for your help.
What would you say that statistical chances are of me developing this?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 12 minutes later

Thanks for posting your followup query

Here are the risk factors involved in any ones chances of getting gastroparesis :
1. Abdominal surgery
2. Taking medications that slow the rate of stomach emptying
3. Diabetes
4. Certain cancer medications
5. Medications that affect muscles or nerves

Again all data on internet is not authentic

It is more so that risk factors, immunity , exposure and region you belong to are more considerate than the statistics

I would reassure you and advise you not to go for figures only, if you have any symptoms do pass on that and get confirmed if they are related to the disease or not

Hope all clear
If there are no additional concerns accept our response
Get Well Soon