Headache, right side of head, behind the ear, irritating, dizziness

Question
Sir,
My age is 25. I'm a Software Engineer. I've been suffering from acute irritating pain in the right side of head and to the back of the ear. I've been feeling it now and then but almost daily for more than a month. No fever for the past 2 years.
But five months ago, I faced dizziness (and no fever) daily, for about two weeks, not only at work place but also while at home and not in work. I faced it even just after waking up in the morning. Then I consulted a General Physician, and he said that it could be due to an infection, prescribed some pills for a week. The problem settled down after taking them.
But now, even without doing much work, I'm feeling the acute pain as said above.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

The two symptoms that you are having are pain on right side of head behind the ear and dizziness might be interlinked and the two important causes which can cause both these symptoms is inner/ middle ear infections and mastoiditis.

Labyrinthitis is an inflammation of the inner ear and mastoiditis is an inflammation or infection of the mastoid bone, that sits behind the ear. Both of these can cause dizziness, vertigo and pain behind the ear. In addition there can be ear discharge as well. You need to get an ENT examination and examination of the ear as well as CT scan of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

Apart from these two causes, two more causes although less likely which should be evaluated are of TMJ (temporal arteritis (although your age is defying this possibility). You should get an examination done from an ENT specialist to check out these conditions and confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.