Headache, pain in legs, nausea and loss of appetite. Ibuprofen tablet does not help. Suggest medication

Nov 2013

Hello Doctor,
I'm having some sudden pain that started this morning and it has been going on all day. I've had a headache all day and I have already taken some Ibuprofen tablets -2 tablets at 200mg each, this morning and it hasn't gone away. If anything the headache is getting worse. Also I feel pain in my legs. It's not numbing pain just a type of pain that feels like something is weighing down my legs. Also I'm feeling pretty nauseous and have no appetite. I tried eating a light soup and it made me feel more nauseous.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take sumatriptan or rizatriptan

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

The description of your headache does sound like migraine. Since you have not responded to ibuprofen tablets, other options include rizatriptan or sumatriptan tablets.

If headache still does not get better, I would recommend doing a brain scan (CT or MRI) to exclude a secondary cause of headache, such as lack of blood flow to brain (ischemia), infection or tumour.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY:

Follow-up: Headache, pain in legs, nausea and loss of appetite. Ibuprofen tablet does not help. Suggest medication 6 minutes later
Thank you for letting me know. Is there anything you can tell me about the sudden pain in my legs?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Leg pain may be related

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Migraine is associated with fluctuations in blood flow of brain, and brain controls the function of entire body, including legs. So, if there is a little compromise of blood flow to the leg area, one can experience leg pain.

Also, we need to exclude low calcium as a cause of leg pains.

In any case, there is no need to worry about it.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)