Headache during pregnancy. Should I be concerned about this?

Question
I am almost 25 weeks.pregnant, and I have had some headaches with this pregnacy early in but they finally stopped. Ive got one right now and it hurts on top of my head, it comes and goes, it hurts for a few seconds but then goes away. then a little while later it will hurt again, its not constantShould I be concerned about this? It has me worried.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 11 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

In your case, tension headache is a possibility, especially during pregnancy during which headaches commonly result from hormonal changes, fatigue, tension, hunger or physical and emotional stress. I would suggest the following:

•     I would advise you to take it easy as this is very common amongst pregnant women.
•     Please get your blood pressure checked to make sure it’s in the normal range.
•     Then, I would like you to de-stress in your daily routine and relax yourself.
•     Go for a good mild walk in the morning.
•     Do not skip meals/ eat in periodic intervals.
•     Do not see TV / Movies with undue violence/disturbing scenes.
•     Avoid arguments/anger.
•     Relax by trying something like yoga/exercise/meditation.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up if any.

Follow-up: Headache during pregnancy. Should I be concerned about this? 10 days later
Tonight I had some pain in my left breast all the way on the left side towards the back, could milk already be coming in or should vb I be.concerned? I checked my blood pressure and it was 122/66
And isnt some shortness of breath common with pregnacy the futher along I get? The pain only bothered me twice about hr ago. No more since then

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 18 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

As the pregnancy progresses, woman undergoes various changes in the body. Milk preparation by the body starts by about 6 to 7 months and even it can start leaking sometimes. It seems the pain would be due to that itself. You can apply hot compresses for pain relief intermittently.

Your Blood pressure is within the normal range and is nothing to be concerned of. Also it is common to exhibit shortness of breath as the body gains more weight and baby grows.

If there is development of any unusual symptom or the breast pain is severe, do not hesistate to visit your treating Gynaecologist for evaluation.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.

Wishing you a Healthy Pregnancy!

Regards.

Follow-up: Headache during pregnancy. Should I be concerned about this? 2 days later
Is shortness of breath common to have alot during pregnacy? some days I will have it and some days I dont. Today its really bothering me.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 5 hours later

Thanks for writing again

Shortness of breath is very common as pregnancy progresses as the expanding uterus puts pressure on the Diaphgram (muscle below lungs) and thus prevents proper expansion of lungs. Also the oxygen requirement is increased during pregnancy so any activity can cause difficulty in breathing.

Lie on the left side while you sleep. This will help in reducing breathing difficulties to some extent. You can also use some extra pillows for the same.
While sitting keep the shoulders back so that lungs get more time to expand.
If at any point of time shortness becomes severe or is accompanied by chest pain, worsening symptoms, palpitations then consider visiting ER.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Follow-up: Headache during pregnancy. Should I be concerned about this? 45 hours later
How can you tell if your having palpitations? Is having those common in pregnant women?

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Palpitations is the feeling of heart beating rapidly and frequently. It is quite common during pregnancy due to increase work load for pumping blood.

If at any point of time, you feel that they are very frequent, bothersome and are associated with any other symptoms as breathlessness, chest pain then consider visiting your treating Doctor for evaluation.

Usually just sitting relaxed and avoiding stress can help to control them.

Hope this helps to solve your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow queries.

Wish you good health.

Regards!