Headache, dizziness, nausea after stopping diamox tablets taken for long time. Normal?

I stopped taking my diamox (was on 1000 mg for 7 months and then 500 mg per day for the last 3 months) last week and I have been having some small headaches, but today I am dizzy, nauseous and have a headache. Is this normal?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 59 minutes later

You have mentioned that you have Intra-cranial Hypertension and have been on Diamox for last 10 months. And that it was stopped a week ago.

Since the headache has recurred, its likely that there is rebound increase in the intra-cranial pressure causing such symptoms. You would need to restart the Diamox. Also there is a need to do a Lumbar Puncture to remove CSF. This sometimes can be curative in patients with Benign Intra-cranial Hypertension.

Please consult your physician for the same

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran

Follow-up: Headache, dizziness, nausea after stopping diamox tablets taken for long time. Normal? 2 hours later
No that doesn't answer my question, I asked if it is normally to experience some withdrawal or side effects to stopping the medication. I have a normal headache, not like my pressure headaches and no vision issues.

The Neuro-Opthamologist advised that I may feel "off" for a bit, I just wanted to know if this is what she was talking about.

Are you even a doctor? a lumbar puncture is not curative because your body reproduces the csf in less than 12 hours, its used primarily as a diagnostic tool. A shunt to remove csf is the only similar procedure that is used to remove csf.

Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 5 hours later

Some withdrawal minor headache can occur on stopping the medications. If it’s not like the ones related to Intracranial Hypertension, you might just consider waiting and watching. It’s reassuring that you do not have any vision issues related to the headaches now.

Well, I agree that Shunting is the way to reduce CSF pressure. That's for Obstructive Hydrocephalous. In BIH, a simple Lumbar Puncture can sometimes be curative. Well however, most patients require repeated CSF removal. In such cases, a shunt is indicated.

Hope I answered your query, please accept it if you do not have any more questions.

Take Care

Dr Kiran