Headache, dizziness, body ache. Diagnosed with typhoid, malaria, TB. Suggest medication

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my father has been sick for long time and some local doctors said he has Typhoid, malaria and TB. he chronic body itching, headache, dizzines, continuous ache. what type of medication to buy for him and can buy them at any pharmacy?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Your fathers symptoms are not very suggestive of typhoid or malaria which are infections which present mainly as persistent pain and gastrointestinal symptoms .Tuberculosis on the other hand is a chronic infection and can have varying presentations depending on the organ involved like headaches , dizziness etc in neurological tuberculosis .
The treatment for all three are different and is as follows ,
1. Typhoid : antibiotics like Ofloxacin , cefpodoxime or azithromycin usually as a course of 10-14 days.
2. Malaria : antimalarials like Chloroquine or Artemether etc usually for a course of 3-5 days .
3. Tuberculosis : the treatment consists of multi drug combinations known as anti Kochs treatment ( AKT ) for a course of 6-9 months ( daily and long treatment however curable ).
But if a person has multiple infections like these it's very likely that the person is either having immunodeficiency or the diagnosis is not confirmed.
At present it's not advisable to start medicines for all the three infections without confirming the diagnosis . Once it's confirmed the medicines are available at pharmacy but as per doctors prescription .
If the local doctors have carried out any tests kindly upload the reports so that I can advise you accordingly . If not then its best to ask your father to get evaluated by a Infectious disease specialist or a XXXXXXX medicine specialist physician to confirm the diagnosis and start treatment accordingly .
Hope I have answered your query.
Please let me know if you have any further queries.