Head injury, taking Advil, swelling gone down, numbness. Is the swelling due to fluid? Should I get it checked?

Excellent

Question
No dizziness,bleeding. A now remorseful drunk punched me on the side of the head two weeks to the day. Applied ice to the bump on the right side of the head to which the swelling has gone down. However in the last few days I've had some numbness on the right side but it would go away. As we speak I've taken 2 200mg of Advil.

Is the swelling due to fluid? While the pain is decreasing should I get it checked out?
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello
If the pain and swelling has gone down considerably and there is no dizziness or difficulty in vision or any other symptom besides occasional numbness ,then it should not be worried.
This numbers is most likely due to bruised nerve on the temple and shall go away gradually.
I don't think there is any need for any check up at the moment but if your symptoms persist for more than two weeks or they increase,you may consult a doctor however,chances for such a happening looks remote.

Please write back if there is any additional concern.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Head injury, taking Advil, swelling gone down, numbness. Is the swelling due to fluid? Should I get it checked? 15 minutes later
Does the brused nerve feel as if the right temple area is numb colloquially as if said area is in vice. Woulld continued ice treatment help and at what intervals?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Hello
Bruised nerve can result in partial numbness of the area concerned.
Since there is no pain or swelling anymore,icing is not going to do anything now.
Nothing is to be done in particular for this numbness.
You may take some B complex vitamins or VIT B12 for two weeks which may give some help in taking care of numbness.
Thanks

Follow-up: Head injury, taking Advil, swelling gone down, numbness. Is the swelling due to fluid? Should I get it checked? 3 hours later
Lastly is it common for the numbness to be intermittent during this two week period?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 8 minutes later
Hello
It is definitely possible for numbness to be intermittent and specially when you get up after you have slept on the same side.
It is a temporary problem and shall go away gradually.
Thanks