Head feels foggy, no proper sleep and have anxiety. Diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease. My thyroid medication was raised from 60 to 90 grams, but I feel worse than ever. My head is foggy, depressed, can't sleep, anxiety. What can I do?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
A recent rise in the thyroid hormone supplementation can cause side effects like weight reduction, irritability, anxiety, palpitation, increased perspiration, tremors, feeling foggy and so on. The side effects however are dose dependent. You need to repeat TSH levels and get your medications adjusted.

Thyroid supplements do produce immediate effects on your body; however the levels may take a few weeks to month to normalize.

Your condition can be better managed by an endocrinologist. I encourage you to consult an endocrinologist if you haven't seen one yet.
Till then a healthy diet including natural foods, whole grains, lots of fruits and vegetables and a good supply of seafood and other lean protein will help. You should cut back on meats that are high in fat. A multivitamin is probably a good idea if you aren't already taking one.
Selenium supplements and foods XXXXXXX in selenium- brazilian nuts and lean meat will help a lot.
The diet for hypothyroid should not include raw foods such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mustard greens, XXXXXXX spinach, peaches, pears, strawberries, radishes and millet.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.