Having white hair. Can I use hair color? Brand?

I am just 23 year old and my hairs are getting white day by day. please let me know what to do.
should i use hair colour? which brand is best in this product?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 49 minutes later

Welcome to healthcare magic.

You seem to be having a condition called Premature canities or graying.

Premature Graying is still a poorly understood entity. The causes suggested are genetic or hereditary, vitamin deficiencies, stress, thyroid abnormalities etc. None of them are proved beyond doubt.

Does premature graying run in your family?

The treatment recommended is vitamin supplements of calcium pantothenate. Even Biotin and anti oxidants help. Now a new product has come in the market- Melitane, which is a peptide which stimulates the pigment producing cells of hair. Sufficient clinical studies and experience is not yet available for it, but definitely worth trying. Kindly get these prescribed after consulting a dermatologist.

Hair color may be used. Most of the hair colors contain PPD (p-Phenylenediamine) as the main coloring agent and there is a small chance of allergy in few not everyone. So before applying on the hair you can apply it over the inner aspect of your forearm, leave it for 2 days and observe for a week to look for any reaction. If there is no redness or itching, you could use it safely. Any reputed brand can be used.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you have any further queries, I will be glad to answer them