Having weird thing inside belly button, it appears to be attached and long. What could be this?

Question
i have this weird thing inside my belly button, it appears to be attached and long, if i push in my belly i can make it pop out of my stomach
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 24 minutes later
dear patient,

thanks for your health concerns. our belly buttons at some point were connected to the placenta and to our bladder, thus sometimes you can have residual obliterated conduits such as an onphalocele (belly button cyst). they are benign and dont translate disease. other times there is an umbilical hernia communicating with the gut, it comes out when you push

hope that is useful yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Having weird thing inside belly button, it appears to be attached and long. What could be this? 23 minutes later
Ok. This is something new and has never been there before. It does not take up my whole belly button. It almost appears kinda like a worm but i can definitely tell that it is not. Is it something i should be concerned about?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up question. Based on the texture and appearance, it looks more consistent with an urachal remnant (embryologic vestigial structure); these are benign but could occasionally get infected; these can be removed, thus I recommend you to consult with a general surgeon for an examination and evaluation

Truly yours