Having viral disease. On antibiotics. Having fever frequently. Liver tests show SGOT is 101 and SGPT is 186. Remedy?

Sep 2013

I have been battling the viral disease for a week now. So after 2/3 days my doctor admitted me to hospital and they have put me on antibiotics, saline etc. Even thought i was dis
charged from the hospital since it was not proving to be any useful staying there. The fever keeps coming back and every time I take paracetamol it goes back. This is happening 3 times a day for the last 7 days.
After doing by Liver tests my SGOT is 101 and SGPT is 186. Is this due to antobiotics.
I have done tests for dengue, malaria etc and they are negative.

I take beer once in 2 weeks and I smoke 1/2 cigarettes a day. I have been off alcohol and cigarette fir about 3 weeks now.
Can you please advice how to get my these levels to normal ?
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 8 hours later
Hello XXXXX,
You seem to have continuous fever since 7 days, raised level of SGOT, SGPT.
This type of symptoms may be due to:

1 Hepatitis "B" as raised level of serum enzymes are an indication of involvement of liver.
Regular fever is a classical feature of jaundice (hepatitis B).

2 Enteric fever is also a possibility as fever is regular , usually in typhoid ( enteric ) fever there is morning rise of temperature.
3 Tuberculosis (since duration of fever is just 7 days and you haven't mentioned the other symptoms, so less chances.

The serum aminotransferases, aspartate aminotranferases ( S G OT, S G PT ) show a variable increase during the prodromal phase of acute viral hepatitis and precede the RISE in bilirubin level ( same thing is in your case)
Now please get in blood for serum bilirubin level.
Sclera (eyes) becomes yellow color and urine's color also yellow. Sometimes gray color of stool.

2nd test is Widal test for typhoid fever.
Get in blood for C B C( complete blood cells count) , E S R ( CHRONIC INFECTION).
So consult a physician and get in tests as mentioned above.
Rest is very important and please avoid taking paracetamol as this may damage liver (if any excess).
Is raised level of S G OT, SG PT, due to antibiotic? This is your query.
No the raised level is not due to antibiotics, rather due to liver involvement.
For fever, cold sponging (ice pack) is best for you.
Hope I have answered your question.
If further, any question I will help.
Get well soon.

Follow-up: Having viral disease. On antibiotics. Having fever frequently. Liver tests show SGOT is 101 and SGPT is 186. Remedy? 2 hours later
Thanks for replying doctor. Please help me in diagnosing my fever since i would like to know your second opinion.

My doctor has ruled out everything else after doing many tests. So if you want any specific reports let me know.
My eyes are clear, urine and stool are normal.
My Liver report taken yesterday indicates normal Bilirubin parameters,
Alkaline phosphate, serum albumin, Total protein A/G Ration are also normal as per report.
I forgot to mention earlier that my fever is not continuous but it comes and goes. It swings between 103 F to 98.7 F. It is usually accompanied by migraine type headaches.
I have also taken complete blood picture and also blood report. My RBC and WBC count are normal. My Platelet count even though has fallen to 1.4 is not 1.58.
Widal is negative. Differential count is also normal. PCV is normal.
As of now i have not got fever for last 12 hours my temp is normal, but i may get it anytime soon.
So i guess typhoid is ruled out please let me know what you think.
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 39 minutes later
Once again, we are discussing about your fever.

It is very nice that you don't have fever from last 12 hours.

Two things are important in this report as,

Platelets count came down 140,000.
Intense headache is there.
Observe these next 2- 3 days.

Regular check up of platelets of twice in day for two days is very necessary.

If increase, then well. If decrease then get in blood for virology diagnosis fro dengue.

Please also mention about musculo skeletal pain (pain all over body i.e. bones and muscles).

Once again get in blood for C B C (leucopenia in dengue), decrease in white blood cells count.

If platelets are less then get in blood examination from two different labs from same sample.

Hope you will recover soon.

If further any question, I will help.

Good luck.