Having vaginal itching and vaginal bleeding. Can tampons cause vaginal irritation?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hi,wondering if you could help me with this question...ive had some vaginal irritation the last couple of days..symptoms are itching and a small amount of bleeding on the outside of vaginal area??can tampons cause vaginal irritation? thankyou.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Yes, tampons can cause vaginal irritation:
-When left in vagina for more than 6 hours.
-When proper aseptic precautions are not taken while inserting or removal.
-Tampon containing rayon and dioxin.
-By creating moist and warm environment in vagina they increase the possibility of yeast infection.
Infection can lead to itching, erythema etc. When the affected area is scratched some amount of spotting can be seen.

So if the symptoms persist better to consult gynecologist once and get examined.
Prefer pure cotton and unbleached tampons as per as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Having vaginal itching and vaginal bleeding. Can tampons cause vaginal irritation? 2 hours later
just wondering what erythema actually is??

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 hours later

Erythema means redness, erythematous area means reddening of the surface.
It is a sign of inflammation.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.