Having trouble balancing. Cure?

Hi there my dad. Has loss of ballence. He is haveing trouble ballencing himself just came on suddenly
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 days later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

A problem with balance is called vertigo. Vertigo can be caused due to various reasons, let me explain these for you:
-Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV): This is the most common cause of vertigo
-Inflammation in the ear (eg. labyrrinthitis)
-Infections of the ear (bacterial or viral)
-Meniere's disease
-Acoustic neuroma
-Head injuries (is an emergency situation)
-Migraines (a type of headache)
-Multiple sclerosis

I request you to take your doctor to a neurologist, who will have to physically examine your father and will surely be able to diagnose him. Do not worry, I am sure he will be fine soon. Especially once the doctor has diagnosed him.

Please understand that vertigo can be quite frustrating as it interferes with all activities, and so we will have to help your father get rid of it at the earliest.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.