Having throbbing sensation in leg. Knee hurts while standing or laying, pain in lower back. Any suggestion?

For the past couple of weeks (on and off) my left leg has been throbbing. There is a dull, throbbing pain in my hip down through my toes. My knee hurts especially badly, especially when I bend it, or when I'm sitting/laying down. I also have some pain in my lower back. I haven't done anything that I can think of to cause the pain. Any idea what could be going on, or any tips on managing the pain until I can get in to see a doctor?
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 15 minutes later

I request you to provide me the following information.

- Is there any leg or knee swelling associated with this?
- Are there signs of inflammation?
- Do you mean pain is radiating down from hip to toes?
- Is there numbness or tingling associated with this pain?

Please provide these details, so that I can understand your problem better.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Having throbbing sensation in leg. Knee hurts while standing or laying, pain in lower back. Any suggestion? 16 minutes later
There is not any swelling or inflammation.
I do mean that pain is radiating down from hip to toes.
There is tingling with the pain.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 15 minutes later

Thanks for providing me the needed information.

Based on your description, this is most probably because of a pinched nerve or lower limb radiculopathy (Sciatica).

Common cause is bulging intervertebral discs in the vertebral column that compress on the nerves as they come out of the spinal cord - symptoms are experienced along the area of distribution / path of that particular nerve.

Here the treatment varies from conservative to surgery. Conservative treatment includes anti-inflammatory medications (pain killers), physical therapy or chiropractic treatment, and avoiding activity that strains the back. Majority of radiculopathy patients respond well to this conservative treatment and symptoms often improve within six weeks to three months.

I would suggest you to see a spine specialist who will take into account severity of your symptoms and if needed advise Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) to guide about the treatment.

Mean while painkillers such as advil twice a day can help to relieve pain. So is warm compresses and proper rest useful. Try them as you plan an appointment.

Hope this helps. Please ask if I have left any of your query unanswered or if there are any doubts.