Having throat irritation while clearing throat, no fever or cough. Any cure?

Jan 2013

i cant 'clear' throat, no phlegm, no fever, no cough, no aches. throat just rattles when i try to clear throat, goes away pretty much when i recline
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with cough.
Do you have difficulty in swallowing/ dryness in throat/ joints ache?
Do you have nasal blockage/ respiratory distress?
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ water brash?
Are you a smoker?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of recurrent cough induced irritation in throat.
This creates a vicious cycle with recurrent cough and repeated efforts to clear throat and again irritation in throat.

Other causes could be tonsil pathology, nasal blockage with respiration through mouth, autoimmune disease such as Sjogren's syndrome, gastroesophageal reflux disorder causing throat discomfort.
Winter months are typically times for most cases of dry throat since the winter air has less moisture, drying the throat even more.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ ENT surgeon and should go for thorough throat check up.
Smoking also predisposes to dryness of mouth and throat.
You should perform gargles three times in a day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.
Using a humidifier when sleeping will help in avoiding a dry throat.
Drinking water before bedtime may also help in keeping the throat moist.
As long as you are able, practice breathing through your nose at night (if you are breathing through mouth).
You should use mixture of honey with ginger for soothing effect of your throat.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava