Having third degree burns on body. Stapedectomies on both ears and had blephroplasties done. Have Dysthemia. Suggest the treatment?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
3rd degree burns on 40% of my body from house fire. Stapedectomies on both ears due to hereditary hearing loss (otosclerosis), blephroplasties 10 years ago that I think ruined my appearance and I regret having done. I think I have Dysthemia as I have had low to medium chronic depression, low self-esteem and anxiety/panic attacks for the last 20 years. I have seen several doctor's over the years but I am still suffering with the above. I am in Portland, OR for half the year and Tampa, FL the other half. Please help!
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should add psychotherapy to current treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for the query

I did go through your history carefully

Sertraline 200 mg is an adequate dose and is a good drug for the symptoms that you have.

But, I would suggest regular psychotherapy sessions will help to improve further, increase self esteem

I dont think there would be any need for continuing so many multivitamins for long time unless it has been specifically prescribed by your doctor

Hope this finds you helpful

Follow-up: Having third degree burns on body. Stapedectomies on both ears and had blephroplasties done. Have Dysthemia. Suggest the treatment? 24 hours later
OK, but who to see?? As I have asked on this site earlier, I am in Portland, OR half the year and Clearwater, FL (Tampa Bay area) the other half. With so many psychiatrists on this site, I have a hard time believing their is no one near either of these places in the U.S. It would be very helpful to me. My depression and anxiety are really serious and I need and want help. Thank you very much,

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult clinical psychologist for psychotherapy

Detailed Answer:

If you are willing to start psychotherapy, consulting a clinical psychologist nearer to you should.

I am sure some clinical psychologist would be there.

You can check website of portland psychiatric association or portland psychologist association, to get to know, who is there nearby.

Rather than getting confused, it is important to seek consultation "face-to-face".

Psychotherapy / even for that matter, adequate treatment of depression and anxiety treatment requires thorough assessment.

Till such time low dose benzodiazepine group of medications like clonazepam can relieve your anxiety temporarily.

Wish you a good luck.

Follow-up: Having third degree burns on body. Stapedectomies on both ears and had blephroplasties done. Have Dysthemia. Suggest the treatment? 44 minutes later
Thank you. Does Clonazepam work better than the Lorazepam (1 mg) I am currently taking each morning? I am 5'3" and weigh 115#. Thank you!

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
both are equally better for anxiety

Detailed Answer:
Clonazepam is intermediately potent and act for little longer period than same dose of lorazepam

Unlike lorazepam,clonazepam is not sedative.

Both are equally efficacious for anxiety

Either of these two, if taken for long time, may worsen depression

Wish you good health