Having symptoms of lupus but no fever. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I HAVE 8 OUT OF 9 OF THE SYMPTOMS OF LUPOS. I HAVENT NOTICED FEVER BUT I AM EXTREMLY HOT NATURED. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
XXXXX 69 YRS OLD
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis of Lupus (SLE) has to be made first.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

A confirmation of diagnosis of Lupus (SLE) has to be made first before considering yourself as having the disease.

Diagnosing lupus is difficult because signs and symptoms vary considerably from person to person. There is no single lab test which diagnoses the presence of Lupus. The combination of blood and urine tests,Kidney and liver assesment XXXXXXX test , Chest Xay, signs and symptoms, and physical examination findings leads to the diagnosis.

So, I suggest you to consult a rheumatologist for a detailed evaluation and diagnosis of your problem.

The medications most commonly used to control lupus include:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Over-the-counter NSAIDs, such as naproxen (Aleve) and ibuprofen (Advil) may be useful to treat pain
- Antimalarial drugs: Medications commonly used to treat malaria such as hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) also can help control lupus.
- Corticosteroids: Prednisone and other types of corticosteroids can effectively counter the inflammation of lupus.
- Immune suppressants: Drugs that suppress the immune system may be helpful in serious cases of lupus. Examples include cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan), azathioprine (Imuran, Azasan), mycophenolate (Cellcept), leflunomide (Arava) and methotrexate (Trexall).

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further