Having swollen lymph nodes and sore throat after exposure. Rapid test for HIV negative. Should I be concerned?

ENT Specialist
i took an Eclia Duo test in a tab after 24 weeks of possible exposure. The test came back non reactive. Also tested for all STDs, all came back negative. But still i'm having persisting systems like swollen lymph nodes and sore throat. These symptoms are there for the past 5 months, means it started exactly 1 month after my possible exposure. In addition to this Eclia Duo test on 24 week, i had taken many home rapid test for HIV 1/2 and all was negative (during the last 24 weeks i took almost 10 home rapid tests using JAL innovation's Icare Rapid test kits. My questions are 1) Should i be still concerned about HIV from my last incident 2) If not HIV and other STDs, what might be causing my persistent systems. Please reply
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Relax, Unlikely to be because of HIV Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Relax dear. You have undergone multiple tests to rule out HIV and all of those came as negative. There is a possibility of window period after exposure and that period is 3-6months. Now you have passed that period also. Your symptoms, which you are describing, are not exclusive for HIV and are common symptoms of common infections in upper respiratory tract. Ideal would have been that you should have used protection. If not, should have taken PEP (post exposure prophylaxis). If not, you have undergone so many teats and all are negative, things should be fine. Please have an ELISA done 3 months from now. Period 3 months I am saying is arbitrary (to be doubly sure) as 6 months is the window described in literature. Other STD's- common STD's would have presented by now as there incubation period is short. Your persisting symptoms can be because of a focus of infection in the upper respiratory tract unrelated to HIV. Consult an ENT and if required get treatment for that. Many a times the lymph nodes in the neck are normally palpable. Wish you good health. Regards