Having swollen lymph node in neck. Diagnosed with ear infection. On augmentation. Any suggestion?

I've had a swollen lymph node in my neck for 2 months. It isn't super hard but feels fixed to something (although not fixed to the skin ontop) I hadn't been sick at all. 5 weeks later (last Friday) I had ear pain and went to the urgent care and was diagnosed w/ an ear infection and put on augmentin. 10 days later the ear infection is gone but the swollen lymph node is still there, and I just found another one by my collarbone today (this one is moveable). Could I have been fighting off an ear infection or infection for THAT long to cause a node to be swollen? I am FUH-REAKING out about this.
Also---can a lymph node stay swollen because of constantly touching/messing with it?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

I would like to clear it out at the beginning itself that a lymph node is considered significant if it is swollen more than 1.5cm in radius, tender, hard and matted.
The most common cause for lymphnode enlargement is infection of its draining area which is exactly what has happened in your case however if the lymph node persists to be enlarged after 3 weeks or is increasingly growing bigger and tender I would like you to XXXXXXX a general surgeon for a biopsy.
Yes, it can worsen a lymphnode enlargement and make it tender by constantly touching it, please avoid doing that.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I would be happy to reply to them

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Having swollen lymph node in neck. Diagnosed with ear infection. On augmentation. Any suggestion? 9 hours later
Thank you so much for the reply.

You have answered a lot of my questions! The only thing I'm still wondering is if my lymph node could've been swollen for 5 weeks PRIOR to getting sick. My node was swollen beginning of XXXXXXX but I didn't get sick/ear infection until August 3. Could it have been fighting illness off this entire time and then I got sick?

Or are the node and ear infection probably not related since the time was so long inbetween the swelling and diagnosis of ear infection?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 hours later

Thanks for replying

Lymph nodes can get swollen during the incubation period of the infection sometimes especially of the ear and throat.
The lymph node swelling and the ear infection looks related in your setting.

I hope I have answered your query