Having swelling in ankles and brussing in lower legs. Cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello I am XXXXXXX
My husband has a problem with his ankles swelling quite a bit and with a lot of brussing on his lower legs just above his ankles. What can be causing that? And what should we do about it?
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The swelling on the ankles with a lot of bruising could be due to arthritis.
Other causes for pedal and ankle edema are cellulitis, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, high altitude, high salt intake and any blood clot in the veins causing DVT. Is he taking some medicines like laxatives? Abusing these drugs can also cause bilateral pedal edema.

He should follow these lifestyle measures to alleviate the symptoms:
1) Increase muscle activity with walking, avoid standing in place for long periods of time and avoid sitting with the feet dependent.
2) Limit salt intake and stop taking any laxatives (if you are taking them).
3) Elevate the legs when sitting and wear leg wedges while sleeping, support socks and proper fitting shoes and socks.
4) Keep the fluid intake adequate by taking plenty of fluids.
5) He can take diuretic pills after consulting the doctor to relieve the pedal edema.

If the pedal edema persists then I suggest you a physician consultation. He needs to get blood tests, kidney function tests, electrolyte levels, ECG and stress ECHO, venous Doppler of the legs and urine tests done.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.