Having sudden pins and needle sensation under knee. How to get relief?

General Surgeon
Question
sporadic sudden pain needle pocking like under the right knee??
It is a very short lasting picking but the waking up at night causes me am sleepless rest of night.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptom can be caused by varicose veins, Beckers cyst ( a cyst localized behind the knee, easily palpable), tendons injury or destruction, tendons inflammation, articular crescent degeneration, nerve irritation. I suggest you to take a look closely the area around the knee and look for any lumps or varicose veins. If no such veins or lumps, you should visit orthopedist for knee physical examination (without it, proper diagnose wont be possible). And X-ray and ultrasound (or MRI) might be necessary.
In a meanwhile you can try Magnesium supplementation (sometimes nerves and muscles can not work property due to Magnesium shortage and its supplementation can give positive responses).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Having sudden pins and needle sensation under knee. How to get relief? 2 days later
Thanks effectively the pain is in an area into where my varicose vain extend (going few inches below the knee. most of doctor told me if it doesn't bother you don't bother it (the varicose vain).
It happened after my working out my knees on elliptic and tread mill and at the same time I started taking the
SSRI CELEXA, could it be SELEXA side effect?
Thank very much
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

No, for sure it is not Selexa side effect.
What you have been told about varicose veins is not quite true. Actually, varicose veins increases the risk of veins thrombosis. And veins thrombosis can be life threatening if spreads into XXXXXXX veins and lungs.
Your pain seems to be a result of varicose vein. You can try compression stockings (second compression level) and see if it helps with the pain. If yes, for 100% varicose vein causes the pain.
And if so, you have two reasons for its removing (possibility of thrombosis and pain). You should have veins Doppler ultrasound performed and get scheduled for surgery.

Regards.