Having strong sexual urge during sleep. Normal?

my problem is I wake up in middle of sleep with a sudden strong sexual urge. to control it i masturbate and again go to sleep. all this happens with my concern. is this something normal or peculiar.
basically i have a fear that in such circumstances i would be acting on my partner sleeping beside me. presently am a bachelor living with my friends. my fear is that i may show that urges on the one sleeping beside me. will this really happen. because i wake up with strong urge but am aware of everything going on at that time. actually i didn't react badly on anyone but i have that fear. is this something abnormal. i had this situation for 3 times within the past 10 years.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to fear.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

This kind of sexual urges happen infrequently in many persons some time in their life specially in 20s. But good thing is that there is nothing to worry about them.

Common reason for these urges:
-Sexual act in dreams. Many time person do not remember them but body react to them.
-Nocturnal penile tumescence: During sleep most of the man have erection several times in a night. If a person wake up during this phase, he may have sexual urges.

As frequency is very less in your case (3 times in 10 years) there is no need to fear or worry. For prevention you can go in bathroom to masturbate to release your sexual urge. You can also inform your friends about this phenomenon as a prevention, so that they can understand your problem.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Having strong sexual urge during sleep. Normal? 13 hours later
thank you for your response. and am suffering from OCD from my school days. presently am staying in USA. how many days would it take to completely treat OCD. at normal times there would be no problem for me but when I have situations something explained like above I will be repeating those thoughts again and again. previously i used to wash my hands many times, repeated checking, religion and sexual thoughts. now i don't have any problems with these but now a days i remember the small mistakes i have done in past and repeat those thoughts again and again. i always look for perfection in myself and even a small mistake in past is hurting me and loosing my confidence. in reality i haven't done any thing wrong and find myself good in everything. but am unable to control those small thoughts and keep on repenting myself. please help me in this
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should start treatment for OCD.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Presence of OCD is the reason for excessive fear of having sexual urge in night in your case, even after having problem thrice in 10 years.

OCD is a chronic and disabling condition. Due to chronic nature of illness treatment is required for years. Symptoms of OCD may also change over a period of time like in your case.

There is need for treatment, if symptoms cause significant personal distress or affect social & professional life. Both drug and non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) are used for treatment. Choice of treatment depends on severity of symptoms, personal preference and availability of treatment.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

So, do not worry and start treatment, as treatment show very good response.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.