Having strands of hairlike substances under foreskin, some are red but mostly black. Is it fungal infection?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question

When I clean my penis with a wet tissue under my foreskin, I'm collecting small strands of hairlike substances, some are red but mostly black, is this fungi? Also, I have a red blotch, no pain, or no itching, also no burning we peeing. Is this a fungal infection, I also suffer from uncomfortableness when I walk.
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, there could be possibility of fungal infection or collection of smegma.
Fungal infection is caused by normal commensal fungus "Candida Albincans" and it is also known as thrush.
Smegma is collection of sebum along with epithelial cells.
Candidiasis is caused by breech in immune system and the fungus is normal present in human being and gets proliferated with decreased immunity.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ dermatologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, KOH mount preparation of substance.

Exact diagnosis is required for treatment.
If KOH mount preparation is found to be normal then it is smegma and as such there is no need of any treatment.
If KOH mount preparation shows fungal hyphae then you should take antifungal ointment and oral preparation on written prescription from a local doctor.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Having strands of hairlike substances under foreskin, some are red but mostly black. Is it fungal infection? 29 minutes later
So the small hair like follicles I'm collecting from the inflamed area is fungi yes? It can't be anything else?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 minutes later
There appears to be least possibility of presence of hair follicles in the defined area as this area is hairless in nature.
There could be possibility of presence of pubic hair.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ dermatologist.
Kindly attach pics if possible.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava