Having stomach pain and loose motions. Travelling. Taken esmapr and domstal. Guide?

Needle stomach pains , comes and goes, psryial loose motion, travelling, no fever, esmapr and domstal taken sunce yes.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Could you please post your complete query? I am sorry, it seems a bit ambiguous.
Follow-up: Having stomach pain and loose motions. Travelling. Taken esmapr and domstal. Guide? 10 minutes later
Looks i have a stomach infection, couple of loose motions , a pain in stomach comes and goes. I travelling. I have feronam 200 with me. I am on lithoum 400 sr twice a day
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. Although Lithium tablets have diarrhea as side effects but since you are traveling and considering your symptoms, traveler's diarrhea is an important possibility to be ruled out. In this there are four to five loose or watery bowel movements each day. Other commonly associated symptoms are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, bloating, low fever, urgency, and malaise, and appetite is usually low or nonexistent.

For now, drink plenty of water to maintain the hydration levels or take Electral or Gatorade solution. Chicken broth, tea, ginger ale, Popsicles, XXXXXXX cranberry, or grape juice can be taken. The BRAT diet (ie, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can also be taken. Apricot or peach nectar, bananas, and mashed or baked potatoes are all high in potassium. With diarrhea, potassium is lost and it is important to replace it.

Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food, fatty foods, sugary foods, dairy products, caffeine, beans, raw vegetables, raw fruits, broccoli, corn, cabbage, cauliflower and alcohol until recovery is complete. Medicines such as loperamide (Imodium) and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) can help relieve symptoms but should be taken under medical supervision.

If diarrhea becomes severe (three or more loose stools in a 24-hour period) or if diarrhea is bloody, or fever occurs with shaking chills, or abdominal pain becomes marked, or diarrhea persists for more than 72 hours then you may need a course of antibiotics (500 mg of ciprofloxacin twice a day or 400 mg of norfloxacin twice a day for 3-5 days.). Fernomen may complicate the diarrhea, hence avoid taking it.

Other than that, follow these measures:

1)     Maintain good hygiene and only use safe water for drinking and tooth brushing.

2)     Avoid ice, which may not have been made with bottled water.

3)     Use only sealed mineral water in restaurants.

4)     Avoid eating raw fruits and vegetables and raw salads.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.