Having stomach pain. Hurts while I walk or bend. What can this be?

General Surgeon
im having pain on my left side of my stomach, everytime I walk or bend over it hurts worse. It's by my lower rib cage. what is it?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Upper left or middle abdominal pain is usually caused by stomach issues. It can be peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or Helicobacter Pylori infection. With stomach problems, you should also suffer from nausea, chest burning, acid reflux. The pain usually appears after a meal.
Lower rib cage pain can be also caused by rib nerve issue or strained muscle.
Rib nerve pain is sharp, well localized, aggravates while breathing or moving the chest. Can radiate to the back. This condition can be caused by local inflammation of the nerve or spine problems.
Strained muscle pain is less intense, dull, and usually appears when moving particular muscle.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have physical examination at first. If stomach issues are most probable, abdominal ultrasound and blood work should be done at first and gastroscopy as a next step.
In case of rib nerve or muscle issue, Diclophenac 50 mg twice a day (should be taken with Omeprasole 20 mg once a day to protect the stomach) should be prescribed. Magnesium 400 mg once a day can be also helpful. You may also try hot bath or massage to relax muscles.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having stomach pain. Hurts while I walk or bend. What can this be? 11 minutes later
Could it possibly be kidney stones? Also maybe something to do with my bowels because I do get constipated alot. I had my physical done in may and now I am seeing a reproductive endocrinologist. I told her about my pain and she said she would look in to it. It is just getting worse every day. It was tolerable but now it is just pain and agony. It gets worse at work because im moving around so much and lifting things.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Kidney stones usually give back pain radiating to the lower abdomen or even groin. The pain is strong, appears suddenly. Burning while urinating, pain and frequent urinating usually also appears. Kidney stones pain does not change when moving or lifting.

In such young age, constipation are most likely caused by diet. Low fiber intake and low mineral water intake can give constipation as well as lack of physical activity. Other possible reason of constipation are medicines (ca-blockers, antidepressants), thyroid diseases, chronic bowels infection. I suggest you to improve your diet first.

The pain which is aggravated while lifting or working seems to be caused by muscle or nerve issue in first row. Hernia also gives such symptoms, but you would have notice a lump in the pain area.

Please visit your doctor for physical examination and consider mentioned before conditions.

Follow-up: Having stomach pain. Hurts while I walk or bend. What can this be? 7 hours later
yes I do notice a bump in the pain area and it hurts when I push on it, is there anything I can take to get rid of it or should I go to the dr's. Will they give me anything for this pain.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
So this bump can be a hernia. If so, the only way to get if fixed is a surgery.
Please make a simple test. Lie down and try to lift your head up (so the abdomen gets pushed). Your pain should get worse and the lump should protrude from the abdominal cavity.
Now while standing, try to cough. This should make the lump more visible and the pain worse.

Please visit general surgeon and have physical examination. If the hernia is correct diagnose, surgery should be done to fix it.

Follow-up: Having stomach pain. Hurts while I walk or bend. What can this be? 1 hour later
what why should i make it worse? on my back with my head up or stomach with my head up?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
I dont want you to make it worse. I wanted you to perform some kind of physical examination by yourself (as I can not examine your abdomen, and this is the most important in diagnostics).
On your back with head up the lump should protruding.