Having spotting since 9 to 15 days. Had regular period. Normal?

My last regular period ended on 8-25-13 and lasted 4 days(which is normal). I have been spotting since 9-15 every day. I have not had a regular period yet. I am 44 years old. Is this normal.
Thank you
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be premenopausal.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question, I can understand your concern and I appreciate you seeking medical help.

The thing to consider with abnormalities with menstruation is your age. Menopause may set in around 45 years of age plus or minus 3 to 5 years.

With the setting in of menopause one may experience a change in the regularity of her periods, with some ladies a gradual decrease in the frequency and flow is noticed and with some irregular frequency and irregular bleeding is seen.

Some times, the flow may persist as long as 15 to 20 days, in which case it is always better to pay a visit to your gynecologist.

All this happens as a result of decreasing estrogen and progesterone levels, as the ovaries gradually loose their ability to produce enough quantities of these hormones due to the general process of ageing and also yet not completely understood mechanisms of signalling mechanisms which control these functions.

You have mentioned that, you have only noticed spotting since 15th of September, I would suggest you wait and see how it goes.

If you see no change for another 2 weeks, I would suggest you consult your Gynecologist and get yourself completely examined.

I hope this answers your query, you are most welcome to ask me more questions if you have any.

Warm regards,