Having spontaneous sharp pain in lower abdomen. How to avoid this?

Psychiatrist
Question
Spontaneus Sharp PainsI've been having spontaneous sharp pains. they occur about 2-3 inches above the belt, on the left and right sides. From what I can tell, nothing in perticular seems to provoke them. They are sharp pains and last between 3-10 seconds. They occur multiple times an hour.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 3 minutes later
Hello........
Thanks for your query. The symptoms you describe is referred to as colicky pain. They are characteristic of either renal stones and site of pain indicates possibly renal/kidney stones. An ultrasound abdomen is necessary for diagnosis. Take plenty of fluids to minimise the colicky pain. You would require a surgical evaluation. Do clarify further if required.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Having spontaneous sharp pain in lower abdomen. How to avoid this? 28 minutes later
If the issue is kidney stones, does that mean inevitable urinary problems? As currently the pain does not go below the flank, and my urinations feel no different then before the colicky pain.

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 6 minutes later
Hello.......
I understand that you are referring to the fact that the pain is not transmitted from loin to groin. Neverthless the presentation you are describing is pointing towards renal stones. The stones can be located anywhere along the ureter. Only an ultrasound can clinch the diagnosis however. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Having spontaneous sharp pain in lower abdomen. How to avoid this? 21 minutes later
Also, which sort of doctor should I see?

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 55 minutes later
A general surgeon would be ideal for you. A gastroenterologist or a gastrointestinal surgeon would also be able to handle the case equally efficiently.
Dr Sundar