Having sore Achilles tendon. Pain while running. What can be done to heal this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my Achilles tendon is sore about 10 cms. up from the heel. I can walk ok but as soon as I run the pain is bad, has been so for a 6 weeks--is there something I can do to heal this ?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
Your symptoms are suggestive of achilles tendonitis. It happens due to inflammatory changes at the junction of bone and achilles tendon.
Recurrent trauma in the area often causes the inflammation.
Treatment involves pain killers, local steroid injections, hot fomentation and application of a local analgesic gel.
You should use as many of these treatments as possible concurrently:
1. Wear shoes with a heel ½” to 1” higher than the ball of the forefoot and are somewhat flexible through the ball of the foot.
2. Add a heel lift in your shoe. (You may also use arch support inserts or orthoses, such as Superfeet orthotics)
3. Avoid standing or walking barefoot. Avoid flat footwear like slippers or sandals. Avoid stiff shoes.
4. Perform calf stretching exercises for 30-60 seconds on each leg at least two times per day. (Stand an arm’s length away from the wall, facing the wall. Lean into the wall, stepping forward with one leg, leaving the other leg planted back. The leg remaining back is the one being stretched. The leg being stretched should have the knee straight (locked) and the toes pointed straight at the wall. Stretch forward until tightness is felt in the calf. Hold this position without bouncing for a count of 30-60 seconds. Repeat the stretch for the opposite leg.)
4. Perform eccentric calf rehab exercises under guidance of a physiotherapist.
Get the necessary pain killers prescribed form your orthopedician after an examination. This should subside in next few weeks with proper care and exercises.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having sore Achilles tendon. Pain while running. What can be done to heal this? 2 days later
Thanks for your advice--am already following it.
Is there any possibility that a blood clot, or a build-up of uric acid could be causing the pain?--if so how can I tell if it is that or not?--and how to treat that.
Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
A blood clot or increased uric acid are less likely possibilities. This can be ruled out after a blood test and a color doppler scan of the legs. Do consult an orthopedician for the same and required prescription medicines for the treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.