Having some scar tissue. Biopsy came negative. Anything serious?

Dec 2013

Had what I thought was a mole biopsied took some out of center of spot. Came back negative. Went a couple years later. Dermtologist cause it was changing. He said it looked like scar tissue and wasnt concerned about it. Said it could be removed but would leave a hole in my arm. I am very paranoid about it and check it often myself. Do I trust the dr when he said it was just scar tissue?
I am of Italian decent and have olive tone skin. I do not burn easily.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Histopathologically benign mole is never cancerous

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

After reading your query I can make out that you are quite worried about the mole and its remnants.

In all the patients with mole and especially Caucasian population with fair skin we always explain and guide the patient for following important points which are also know ans ABCD of mole in which :

- A is for Asymmetry- meaning if one half is different than the other half.
- B is for Border Irregularity-meaning if the edges are notched, uneven, or blurred.
- C for Color- meaning if the color is uneven or we see shades of brown, XXXXXXX
and black are present.
- D for Diameter- meaning if Diameter is greater than 6 millimeters or a pencil tip.

Along with this we always guide for the patient to report immediately if there is redness or swelling beyond the mole, pain, tenderness, itching, bleeding and if oozing appearance of a new bump or nodule, color spreads into surrounding skin or any color change is present.

So getting all these above points in consideration - In yourself there was no any history of any of these above points. That is why histopathology (biopsy) of the mole also came back negative. Any of the mole can be best analyzed histo-pathologically. This is the gold standard to know any bad possibility in the mole.

It is a usual sequel to find a mark or a pigmented tissue or a scar after any mole excision. This is totally a normal phenomenon. TO tell you frankly we doctors are even more vigilant and apprehensive to see any unusual thing in any thing including mole.So you should believe in your good doctor to provide you the exact of explanation to your problem. So do not worry and relax about any bad possibility!!!

I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you.

With good health wishes,
Dr Sanjay
MD - Dermatology
Follow-up: Having some scar tissue. Biopsy came negative. Anything serious? 11 minutes later
Thank you for answering my question. It started to flatten out and change shape a while after the biopsy. And has gotten a bit bigger. The pigment is pink in the center and pinkish brown on the edges.
About the size of a pencil erasure
So then I went back to the dermatologist after it started changing and he said all he sees is scar tissue
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Points in favor of normal scar tissue

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to the forum again and thanks for your prompt reply.

Now getting the point of flattening and pinkish appearance of the area after biopsy are always considered to be good and positive sign after mole removal.

The size of pencil eraser meaning more than 6 mm can be due to the fact that your doctor must had excised it beyond its margin as safety point. It is a usual practice to excise almost 2-3 millimeter extra when we excise the mole. So it leads to scar larger than the original mole.

So both the above points are in favor of excision of benign mole and remaining of total normal scar tissue .

Even then in dermatology we say "our mind knows what the eyes say" so it will be best if you can upload a good resolution close picture so that I can guide you best.
For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia.

With regards,
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: Having some scar tissue. Biopsy came negative. Anything serious? 19 minutes later
I send it as an email to YYYY@YYYY
I did not have the whole thing removed. He simply did a biopsy and took a piece out of the center and came back negative. Then it started spreading after that.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Relax- It is a scar tissue with central atrophy

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to reply you bit late. The photo just got uploaded and without that I was not able to comment and help for your problem.

Now after thoroughly examining the photo, the good news for you is that it simple scar tissue only and nothing else. As I thought it is larger than pencil tip because of the bit wide excision only.

If you can notice the center is pinkish which is the excised area and it is because of the atrophy of the skin. The periphery of the area is brownish which is also known as post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation or PIH. It is usual sequel to all the wounds where due to action of melanocytes (color producing cells) there is hyper-pigmentation. To say very openly and boldly there is no possibility of any malignant or cancerous growth in these scar tissues.

Even if we think that some of the cells remained after excision then these cells always grows back in couple of months only to give XXXXXXX black pigmentation. So if you think that there had been some of the cells remained in the area then in last few years these must had grown back and had given XXXXXXX black colored appearance which is actually not present.

So there is no need to worry about any of the bad possibility as I explained you before.

You can very well relax and rely on your doctor.

I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer.

With good health wishes,
Dr Sanjay
MD - Dermatology