Ask a Urologist   »  

Having smelly dark urine. Noticed redness around penis head and white discharge. Looking for remedy

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have dark urine kind of smelly redness around the base of the head of my penis and a white discharge comes out sometimes when I'm laying around
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
If the discharge is clear,no burning,no itching,no foul odour and the swab test is negative for chlamydia,gonorrhea etc then its mostly the normal discharge. Since there is a smelly redness around the base of the head, a local infection of the skin is likely. There might be some inflammation of the urethra causing a non specific urethritis.Most cases reduce on using a local antiseptic and antifungal ointment like Lotrimin. Some people need antibiotics for a few days. But most important is keeping good hygiene,avoid unprotected sex,was with a antiseptic solution and after sex and urination.

If you develop burning,itching etc then you definitely need antibiotics.
As for now,just keep clean and avoid unprotected sex and see if the the discharge reduces. Small amount if discharge is normal. In case the discharge persists or is associated with a burning sensation then swab culture for urinary infections is indicated.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.