Having smell of fart on body, stomach bloats and pains. Smell increases when its close to menstruation. Cause?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi my name is XXXXXXand the last few months my body has been putting a smell of fart/feces . And I don't know why. I shower daily and wear clean clothes. My stomach bloats a lot, and I always feel as if I'm not finished when I use the bathroom and I've been having stomach pains. And this May seem odd but the smell increases when its close to my menstrual. I don't know whats wrong with my body.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.
This is significant symptom and nothing is odd in medicine. This isnt something common, but trust me you are not the first one who reports such difficulties.
There is obviously disorder in digestion and defecation. If you smell your feces it mesnas that it isnt evacuated completely from your anal canal or vagina. It may sounds odd, but there is a condition called recto-vaginal fistula or perianal fistula where there may be communication between rectum and vagina or between anal canal and skin around it. These fistulas can be so small that you dont even have to notice feces around your genital area or skin. ALso farts can go through these fistulas as well. This isnt something common as I said but it would explain your symptoms.
There can be some other rectoanal disorders such as hemorrhoids, polyps ,fisures etc and the best way to rule all this out is to do proctologist examination first.
If nothing is found you should visit gynaecologst because there is a possibility that you have urinary, vaginal infection or STD if sexually active. SMell like feces can be caused by certain bacterial infection so you should do urine analysis and swab testing. If I am right,all these disorders i ve mentioned are curable and you dont have to be concerned. So just do those tests first to find the exact diagnosis.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.
Follow-up: Having smell of fart on body, stomach bloats and pains. Smell increases when its close to menstruation. Cause? 21 minutes later
thank you. Would my local E.R be able to test me?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 minutes later
Yes, in most institutions. Just tell them what you ve told me and ask them about possibility of fistulas. These are basic urine tests and simple physical rectal and vaginal examination and it would make diagnosis much more clear. YOu are young and I am sure this is nothing serious, this is just unpleasant, but as I said it can be treated relatively easily.