Ask a Urologist   »  

Having small growths on penis shaft. What are the chances of STD? Worried

I have small growths on my penis started about 4 months ago...its still very small (each one about the size of a pen tip) but multiplied.
I am married for over 10 years and my wife has no symptoms...I do not think it could be a STD can I send a picture?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 minutes later

The image shows a typical genital wart in its initial stage.

It is a contagious sexually transmitted disease caused by sub-type of human papillomavirus (HPV). It is spread through direct skin-to-skin contact during oral, genital, or anal sex with an infected partner or even with hands on contact or through fomites rarely.

I suggest you to connsult a Dermatologist who shall order for a biopsy of the lesion to confirm the fact.

There are promising treatments with medications like Imiquimod, podophyllotoxin and Sinecatechins.These can completely cure the condition when its in initial stage.

I recommend abstinence till the diagnosis is made and the dermatologist clears you off the infectivity.

Hope I answered your query.

Please come up with follow ups if any.

Follow-up: Having small growths on penis shaft. What are the chances of STD? Worried 7 minutes later
how could I have that? is it possible to have and show no signs of long periods?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

As I mentioned in my previous post such infections can also be gained through hand contact with any contaminated fomites.

Yes, it is possible for warts to be asymptomatic for long periods.

Need not worry, it has to be examined physically and a biopsy taken to confirm the diagnosis.Do consult a dermatologist for the same.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having small growths on penis shaft. What are the chances of STD? Worried 27 hours later
I am waiting on appt with urologist ........ could this be a sign of cancer?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later
Hi again,

No, it does not appear to be a cancer. Biopsy would help us to rule out cancer completely.

I suggest you also consult a Dermatologist who is specialized in dealing lesions like these.

Wish you good health.